THIS ARTICLE IS NO LONGER APPLICABLE AS MICROSOFT HAVE ENDED THE FREE UPGRADE OFFER.
Woo! The Windows 10 Upgrade pop has just appeared, Woo! It says I am eligible to upgrade, let’s do it! Err… What do you mean I have to wait?
Luckily there’s a solution, it’s very useful if you’re having issues upgrading and need to re-download the install files.
What to do
- Open Windows Update:
- Now, click “Check for Updates”
- Open Command Prompt: - – For Windows 8 and newer
- Windows Key + X
- Click on “Command Prompt”
- – Any edition of Windows
- Click the Start button or Windows Key
- Type “cmd”
Click on “Command Prompt”
- Type “wuauclt.exe /updatenow” whilst Windows Update is still checking
You’re done! Windows Update should then automatically download the files.
Note: If you are forcing a download because of corrupted files then you will need to delete the previous upgrade files, go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete the contents of that folder.